Frew Park Redevelopment
A multi million dollar Council investment in Frew Park transformed the ageing complex into a sporting and cultural hub servicing
the Brisbane’s inner city residents. The park contains open spaces, BBQs, a commercial tennis centre, parking, kiosk and amenities.
The former Milton Tennis Centre and Milton Bowl site was transformed into a 3.5 hectare inner city parkland space. Located on Milton Road, Frew Park was completed in 2014 and includes
6 competition tennis courts, a major bespoke play space incorporating architectural and play components, a large playing oval, shaded picnic areas and barbecue facilities, car parking, exercise equipment, interpretive signage and artwork, and a 2 story clubhouse/amenities building.
Located on Moggill Road on the fringe of Brisbane’s CBD, construction works were undertaken on a busy arterial road adjacent to Milton State School.
Scope of works included:
- Demolition and contaminated land remediation.
- Bulk earthworks, construction of large playing oval.
- Modification and replacement of underground services.
- Construction of entry road and carpark, footbridge and tennis courts.
- D&C - multi-story bespoke architectural play space.
- Construction of shelter structures and a 2 story Tennis Centre and Amenities building
- Electrical – external lighting and communications.
- Interpretive signage and artwork showcasing the site’s history » Gardens and plantings, turf, fencing, paving, pathways, furniture and artworks..
KEY CHALLENGES AND ACHIEVEMENTS
- Management of construction activities and materials on a contaminated site.
- Community Liaison – proximity to high density residential zone and schools.
- Delivery of professional sports infrastructure and performance sports surfaces.