Murarrie Recreational Hub
The Murarrie Recreation Hub project formed part of Brisbane City Council’s “Clean, Green and Sustainable City Program”… facilitating improved access for recreational use of the
Brisbane River in accordance with Councils River Access
Network improvement commitments.
Epoca Constructions successfully partnered with the global marina and pontoon specialist – Bellingham Marine (Australia) for the design, construction and commissioning of a 25m x m, flood proof floating concrete river pontoon positioned within the Murarrie reaches of the Brisbane River. The Murarrie Recreation Hub can cater to marine vessels of up to 25 metres and 75 tonnes in capacity.
Scope of work Includes:
- Interpretation and understanding of Brisbane River
Recreational Hub performance requirements;
- Site investigations;
- Design development management, inclusive of user group reviews; producing a complete/conforming facility design and construction specification;
- Creation of Marine Execution Plans for review and acceptance of Marine Safety Queensland;
- Demolition & removal of existing Murarrie viewing platform;
- Marine pile driving & land based screw piling;
- Large scale aluminium fabrication of 3 x 25m gangways inclusive of an intermediate viewing platform, gangway/pontoon ramps and handrails;
- Factory pre-casting of 11 no. individual concrete pontoon units;
- Over water rigging and erection of gangways, ramps and pontoon floats;
KEY CHALLENGES AND ACHIEVEMENTS
- Tight delivery time frame - project was successfully delivered on the agreed date;
- “Defect free” project at handover;
- Site located within shallow reach of the Brisbane River, hence careful and ongoing management of works scheduling and delivery was critical to achieving an on time completion, given the ongoing effects of tides and wash;
- Over water construction;
- Intensive construction/offsite fabrication QA & QC processes given the projects aggressive marine environment;.